Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Contest for Spanish Speakers!

Last Sunday was basically a throwaway for me, because of my Saturday night.

Kira and I attended a party that lasted until 4:30 am, at which time everybody decided to go to a club. Really, the decision to go was less due to my party-girl nature and more based on practicality: if I stayed out until 6 am, the metro would be running again and I wouldn't have to pay for a cab. The Moscow Metro inexplicably ends service at 1am, thereby resulting in most people going to the club for 11 or midnight and staying out until service resumes at 5:30 am. I, of course, have no problem with this.

Excessive partying is just good financial sense.

Anyhow, the party consisted of basically fifteen Spanish men, Kira, myself, and one other Russian girl. Ladies out there, I ask you: who could have a complaint? Who would go home before 6am?

"Where are you from in Canada?" they'd ask, and I'd prepare myself for inevitable disappointment. I've been asked this question dozens of times, and rarely get a response that doesn't involve a totally blank look.
"Winnipeg" I answered each time. And each time, I would get an enthused response.
"Ah! Winnipeg! I know that place!"
"You do?!" This time, the blank shock was mine.

Apparently, a lot of kids in Spain had to read some book in school, the title of which they all translate as something along the lines of Panic in Winnipeg. I mean, they all grew up going to different schools in different parts of Spain, and they all remember the book.

I tried to find it online, but no dice.

A prize of beets, caviar, and matryoshka dolls to the first person who finds it...

2 comments:

juliebean said...

"TERROR IN WINNIPEG" by Erc Wilson.
Don't you just love that i would know that...told you if there was a jepardy catagory on children literature i would so kick ASS.
And i just realized the prize is beets!!!!i thought it said beer, and i don't even like beer, but it is much better prize that BEETS!

Armando said...

Actually, this is the book we all have read. This edition, with that orange colour which ment that you were older than 9. After that, only red ones were left and you could consider your self a "grown-up"
;)