Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hot Tempered? Me?

Let see...got sick, got healthy, bought Mad Men on DVD...A busy week.

Oh, and I quit my job because my boss hung up on me during a disagreement. Like hung up on me while I was in mid sentence. And it was a non-swearing, non-yelling, rational sentence that he just happened not to feel like discussing. I just requested a discussion over the phone rather than in person because of my schedule, and he said that he didn't care what my schedule was, but that I would cancel all my private classes to come into the office for a ten minute meeting. I didn't HAVE private classes, actually, but he thought I did, and insisted that I toss upwards of a hundred dollars out the window so that I could come to see him.

"Does this need to be done in person?" I asked innocently. "I'd prefer to do it over the phone. It's more efficient that way, if it's just a talk."
"Yes, it could be done that way. But I want to see you here. You're not teaching one of my classes tomorrow morning so you'll come in. You don't have a choice."
Pause
"So you are telling me that you want me in the office just to prove that you can get me into the office?"
"You'll be here at ten tomorrow morning. You don't get a say in the matter."
"I could do later in the afterno--"
Click.

Yeah, I don't play that way.
So I texted him: If you chose to hang up on me, I choose to quit. Via text-message. Efficient, no?"
Which I realise was facecious, but I didn't play that card first here. Plus, I love irony.

So now I have to reapply for a visa, jet to Ukraine for at least 24hours to make me legal again, and refill my roster with private students. It's all actually quite possible, just a good deal of work.
In retrospect I guess could've kept my temper and not had to scramble around for a visa.

But I prefer it this way. At least if I get deported, my self-respect will be intact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! MAD MEN!! My new favourite show. It's unbelievable... I'm glad you took my advice and you will be too :)